Crowd2Map Tanzania is an entirely volunteer crowdsourced mapping project that has been mapping putting rural Tanzania on the OpenStreetMap since October 2015
Digital Mapping in the Humanitarian context with Janet Chapman (Crowd2Map)
SEASON: 1 | EPISODE: 7 | |
With Opeyemi Kazeem-Jimoh and Janet Chapman
Crowd2Map Tanzania is an entirely volunteer crowdsourced mapping project that has been mapping putting rural Tanzania on the OpenStreetMap since October 2015. They have been adding schools, hospitals, roads, buildings and villages to OpenStreetMap with the help of volunteers worldwide and on the ground in Tanzania and have trained over 16,000 remote mappers from all over the world to map from satellite images and over 3000 field mappers to add their local knowledge to these base maps, mostly using the free smartphone app Maps.Me.
Opeyemi sat down with the Founder - Janet Chapman to talk about her journey and the impact of the project
- Janet talks about herself and her journey
- Introduction to Tanzania Development Trust & Crowd2Map
- How Crowd2Map was started
- How Crowd2Map works.
- Digital champions, Weekly report cards & targets quiz, Remote mappers- Tasking managers
- GIS tools used and how they are used (On the field and remotely)
- How do you keep volunteers motivated?
- Discussion around some recent projects Crowd2Map has been involved with
- The impact it has had
- How people can get people involved (or become a part of the community)
- New projects coming underway.
- Partnership with NGOs outside Tanzania, East Africa towards the west?
- What Janet has learnt over the years in the course of her work.
Information about Tanzania Development Trust here https://tanzdevtrust.org/
Information about Crowd2Map here https://crowd2map.org/
Join Crowd2Map Slack Channel here https://join.slack.com/t/crowd2map/shared_invite/zt-q04pcgqp-oiICJUFnp61Czn5vguV_Ig
Connect with Janet here https://www.linkedin.com/in/janetchapman/
Or by email email@example.com
Invitation to 6th birthday mapathon https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/crowd2map-is-6-years-old-join-us-and-help-map-to-protect-girls-from-fgm-tickets-179219308777
Remember to Subscribe!
Follow us on Twitter @gspatially
Join us on LinkedIn
Episodes like this
Join us as we talk to industry experts and professionals about how they are using geospatial technology in different areas. Stay informed about the latest trends and developments in the geospatial world in Africa and across the world
Featured in this episode
Hosted ByOpeyemi Kazeem-Jimoh
Opeyemi is a Geospatial Data Analyst and Cartographer with interests in DRR through geo-hazard mapping, GIS for business and sales process optimization, and promoting sustainable futures.
Janet is Chair at the Tanzania Development Trust and Founder of the Crowd2Map Tanzania project.